craft, Domesticity

College-ruled T-shirts

So I recently made these really adorable and easy shirts for my girls.  They are made to look like a piece of notebook paper and remind me of school, so with school just beginning for the year and office supplies everywhere for sale…  well you get where my motivation to create these came from.

Here is a quick and simple tutorial for making them:

1.  First you need a white T-shirt (I got the girl’s shirts a while back at Hobby Lobby when they did the 50% off shirts so they cost 1.50 each.  You will also need blue and red paint (fabric paint or acrylic with fabric paint additive), a paint brush, poster board to put inside the shirt so the paint doesn’t leak to the back and wide masking tape.

2.  Next, take the masking tape and tape off the shirt where you want your blue lines to be.  I found that the extra wide masking tape was perfect for the size of space I wanted between the blue lines.  I also just let the tape go over the edges and stick to the table to hold the shirt in place as I painted.

3.  Paint between the tape with the blue paint and let dry.

4.  Remove the tape.

5.  Tape again where you want the red line to go vertically.

6.  Paint red between the tape.

7.  Let this dry and the next part is optional, I had a black paint pen and let Katie help me write her name “at the top of the sheet of paper” :)  I wrote it and she helped guide my hand, so its not perfect but its personal and that’s what counts for me.  She loved helping and when it was Bella’s turn she loved it too.

8.  Remove the tape from the red line and when everything is dry remove the poster board from the T-shirt and you’re all done!

Of course Bella wanted one too :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!  Hope you enjoyed the post :)  Happy crafting!

-Johanna

14 thoughts on “College-ruled T-shirts

1. Just love these shirt and the little girls in them!

Posted by Mom Fish | September 1, 2011, 10:34 pm
  2. Adorable! Almost as adorable as your girls <3 Love you Jo

Posted by steph | September 5, 2011, 6:48 pm
  3. Hi! Love your tutorial :) featured on my blog ( as you can see at the Pingback).
    http://kidsfuncraft.wordpress.com. I hope it’s o.k.
    Thank you!

Posted by hodapapercut | January 23, 2013, 2:55 am
  4. These are absolutely beautiful!! I hope you dont mind if i share your blog..and i am definitely going to try this!! Thx!

Posted by m | March 2, 2013, 11:40 pm
  5. Love this and I will do that this year

Posted by Wendy Shokes | October 31, 2013, 9:09 pm
  6. Is this washable? I love this idea!

Posted by Leslie | November 1, 2013, 6:59 am
  7. Is this washable? Love this idea!

Posted by sweettreatsandyummyeats | November 1, 2013, 7:00 am
  8. What about adding the 3 “holes” on the side before the red line? 3 black circles filled in maybe?? :)

Posted by Rosy | May 31, 2014, 11:55 pm
  9. I’m definitely going to do this for my 2! Great idea! I’ll ping back here on my blog once its all done!! http://www.ladysbeans.wordpress.com Thank you!

Posted by serenamarie1985 | August 5, 2014, 11:06 am
  10. Reblogged this on My Crazy Blessed Life! and commented:

This post was featured in American Profile magazine this week! So I’m reblogging it as per many requests :) It is a fun and easy back to school project! Thanks for stopping by :)

Posted by crazyblessedlife | August 6, 2014, 8:16 pm
  11. This was sooo cute! I’m a teacher, so I made myself one. Thanks so much for the wonderful idea! My friend made her son one and put a Dr. Seuss quote on it.
    Check out how mine turned out! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/33917803419118364/

Posted by Rosibel Ordonez | August 30, 2014, 2:48 pm

1. Pingback: חולצה בהדפס מחברת, עשה זאת בעצמך לקראת ה1- בספטמבר, יצירה לילדים « הזמנה ליצירה - August 2, 2012

2. Pingback: Camiseta com estampa de caderno | Customização de Roupas, Acessórios e Objetos de Decoração - Customizando.net - March 14, 2013

3. Pingback: My Paper Craze DIY Personalized School Supplies Round-up! - My Paper Craze - August 4, 2014