Christmas, Kids

Wall Nativity

I have seen the cute felt Christmas trees all over Pinterest. They hang on a wall and have felt ornaments for kids to decorate and play with. Well in our home, we focus on the nativity and the true reason behind why we celebrate Christmas, the birth of Jesus. So I decided to do my own version of a felt wall toy for my children. I thought I would share it now since many people are already looking forward to/preparing for Christmas.

I made a nativity from felt and the stable is up on the wall where the kids can reach it and there is a basket of felt characters and animals to add to the stable and play with.

20121107-082624.jpg

20121107-082635.jpg

20121107-083037.jpg

20121107-082807.jpg

20121107-082802.jpg
The kids love it and enjoy moving them all around. Baby Jesus has been held by everyone in the scene including the angels🙂

20121107-083408.jpg

20121107-083421.jpg

20121107-083414.jpg

20121107-083426.jpg

Quick update… templates are on a new post here. Thanks for stopping by!

120 thoughts on “Wall Nativity

1. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Laura F. | November 7, 2012, 8:59 am
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Kathy | November 7, 2012, 10:22 am
  3. Great idea! My Mr 2 will probably love it… And even though he’s a pastors kid I’m not sure he’ll get what it’s all about yet but if it survives the year it will be a lovely tradition too.

Posted by freshgreengrace | November 7, 2012, 4:13 pm
  4. How do you get the felt to stay on the wall?

Posted by Robin Bolton | November 7, 2012, 11:21 pm
  5. This is such a wonderful idea. Do you have a pattern that you could share? I would love to make one of these for my children…I could figure out the stable, but the figures may stretch my creative abilities! Thank you!

Posted by Hope | November 8, 2012, 10:22 pm
  6. How much are you charging to make a set? I know I’d have to pay shipping also, but I might be interested. (You can reach me at spenc279 at yahoo.com if you are interested in making a 4th set.) If it’s not too labor intensive, you could easily put this up on etsy and do well! I’d love to make my own set, but I don’t have the talent.😦 I might give it a go anyway — It couldn’t hurt to try.

Posted by masteringmotherhood | November 11, 2012, 8:40 am
  7. I’m also interested in a set! I’d need everything but the stable. What would you charge? Ashes1434@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Posted by Ashley High | November 13, 2012, 12:24 am
  8. I saw this on Pinterest and am making one tomorrow! Love it🙂

Posted by jennifer | November 13, 2012, 9:58 am
  9. I am also interested in this. How much do you charge ? Thank you

Posted by Cristie | November 14, 2012, 7:17 pm
  10. How did you attach the different peices together for example the hands and face to the body?

Posted by Gale | November 15, 2012, 6:07 am
  11. Yes a pattern!!!!!🙂 Love this!!🙂🙂🙂

Posted by Gillian Gauthier - Gigi Photography - | November 15, 2012, 2:19 pm
  12. how did you glue the hair, hats, hands, etc onto the bodies? hot glue?

Posted by gale | November 15, 2012, 2:23 pm
  13. Will you be posting your pattern? I thought this absolutely adorable. It is my families turn to have together this year. The kids are 5,4,3,2, 9 months, and 3 months. From three different families, not all mine😉. I am excited for a hands on activity while telling the story.

Posted by Jess | November 15, 2012, 9:53 pm
  14. How do the figures stay on the felt in the stable? Love his idea. My toddler will love it too!

Posted by Jessica | November 16, 2012, 2:17 pm
  15. This looks like a wonderful way for children to have an interactive kid-friendly nativity set. I’m looking forward to the pattern! I plan to make this for my grandson.

Posted by Shirley Gilchrist | November 16, 2012, 8:34 pm
  16. I love this! My 2 yr old will love this! He knows and understands the true meaning of Christmas and this will make it even more fun when he tells the Christmas story! Thank you!

Posted by Tracy | November 17, 2012, 5:45 am
  17. love this idea. i will gift it this year. i am also going to make and sell these at a neighborhood boutique. i think the young moms that want them don’t have time to make them. i’m anticipating it to be a hit! thank you so much for sharing!

Posted by Jonna Carlile | November 17, 2012, 7:45 am
  18. can you tell me the dimensions of your backdrop? or the height of the tallest person-figure? then i can create a proportionate pattern (drawing it out right now) Thank you, again!

Posted by Jonna Carlile | November 17, 2012, 7:55 am
  19. I’ll be looking for the pattern too. Sorry if you’ve already answered this question, but do you have any idea when it might be available (i.e. before Christmas? beginning of December?).

Thanks.

Posted by Heather | November 17, 2012, 12:44 pm
  20. Love this! saw it on pinterest. I pinned a huge piece of brown flannel to the back of our couch a few weeks ago (it faces towards our entry way) for the kids to use for flannel/felt board stuff and for us to use with our scripture story pieces on family night. This would be perfect! Thanks for sharing your great idea!

Posted by beth lee | November 17, 2012, 6:00 pm
  21. Love this idea! I’ve been looking for something like this to do with my kiddos! Thanks for sharing. I’ll start one soon and hope it turns just as cute as yours, I’m not the best artist, lol.

Posted by Roxanna | November 17, 2012, 10:54 pm
  22. I also found the felt Christmas tree on Pinterest, but when I saw the version with the presents at the bottom, it gave me the idea to also do a felt nativity because we also prefer to keep Christ in CHRISTmas and down play the commercialized aspects.

Posted by Heather | November 18, 2012, 8:10 am
  23. I saw this via pinterest and wanted to come over and comment.🙂 I love this idea!! I think it’s important to remember the reason we celebrate Christmas. I will definately be making this for my Children. Thanks for the inspiration.

Posted by Jessica | November 18, 2012, 10:58 pm
  24. Love this. I want to make this for my daughter. Do u happen to have the templates for cut outs?

Posted by Malinda Sanchez | November 18, 2012, 11:13 pm
  25. Wonderfully done!!

Posted by thissimplemom | November 19, 2012, 6:58 am
  26. really cute. You did a great job.

Posted by Krys | November 20, 2012, 4:04 pm
  27. Christ is also the center of my home. Always has been and always will be. For that I am very grateful! This nativity is a wonderful representation of the birth of our Savior. You did a great job on it! But I do think that the Christmas tree itself has quite a bit of Christ centered origins and has developed lovely symbolisms over the years. I am not discounting the nativity that you have created. It is wonderful. I think the focus for many at this time of year IS Christ. More so than any other time of year. Wether they do a tree, a nativity or both. In my home we incorporate both. So I will do a felt tree (which was my original plan since I have a little people nativity my children can play with) with a smaller felt nativity underneath. Any exposure I can give to my children of our Savior and His purpose, I’m for it! I think it gives great opportunity to us and our children to learn about and discuss our Savior, His life, purpose and how that all rolls into this wonderful holiday that we celebrate. After all, Jesus is the reason for this Season! How grateful I am for Him!

History of the Christmas tree and the Symbolism is has:

“What is the symbolism of the Christmas tree today? Well first of all, the fir tree is an evergreen–it does not die or fade away or lose its needles in the winter. In this sense it has soon come to represent the immortality of the resurrected Christ.

The lights in the Christmas tree also have a deeper meaning. Originally the lights used were candles, of course. During my childhood days in Germany my grandparents still lit dozens of candles in their Christmas tree. The candles too were meant to symbolize Christ, specifically his self-giving love and gift of life to us. As many of us know, the candle provides light and warmth as it consumes its own substance, the wax. So, too, did Jesus give of his own substance–his life–so that we might find divine light. And when we have found divine light for ourselves, we too are enabled through the power of the Holy Spirit to give of ourselves to others. After all, Christmas is the feast of love, where we share gifts with each other as Christ shared the gift of life with us.”

“The fact that balsam fir twigs, more than any other evergreen twigs, resemble crosses may have had much to do with the early popularity of balsam fir used as Christmas trees.”

Posted by Rachel | November 20, 2012, 9:54 pm
  28. and thank you for the wonderful idea!

Posted by Rachel | November 20, 2012, 9:55 pm
  29. WOW!!! I love it, let me know when you have the instructions done, I want to make one for my family for Christmas!

Posted by Cheryl | November 21, 2012, 2:21 pm
  30. Where do u buy your felt? And can u buy all those colors in small sheets?

Posted by C | November 21, 2012, 10:26 pm
  31. Thank you very much!!
    My grandson is only 2 months old, but I have saved the file and am looking forward to making it for him.

Posted by Shirley Gilchrist | November 22, 2012, 5:59 am
  32. Today is Thanksgiving and also happens to be my birthday. So thankful I saw this on Pinterest. I have been looking for a wooden nativity set that my five year old twins can set up. This is most perfect. I can’t wait to get started!

Posted by Melissa | November 22, 2012, 3:40 pm
  33. Oh my! This exactly the kind of thing I have been looking to do for my Godson. My ideas are more grand that my creative skills so your templates are perfect. My plan is to set this up like an Advent calendar where he can open a “present” (one of the nativity items) everyday in December along with a bit of the nativity story…and maybe a little candy treat!

Thank you so much!

Posted by Robin | November 23, 2012, 8:37 pm
  34. Love this! I am almost done, but just reading your post about minimal glue so they aren’t too heavy…I hope mine work! I used tacky glue and not sparingly….

Posted by Hartley | November 25, 2012, 3:54 pm
  35. Thanks so much!

Posted by Angela S. | November 26, 2012, 12:41 pm
  36. How many sheets o felt did you buy? I am headed to the store in a bit… I didn’t see it on your template- sorry if I missed it!

Posted by Angela | November 26, 2012, 12:50 pm
  37. For some reason, I am only seeing the dimensions for the stable, but not the people or animals…. Help?🙂

Posted by Amy Robinson | November 26, 2012, 1:22 pm
  38. Okay, I see now that it says “drawn to size”, but when I downloaded it, the figures are huge, so if you wouldn’t mind giving me a dimension or two, even if you don’t have time to measure all the figures, that would be great! Thank you; I love this!

Posted by Amy Robinson | November 26, 2012, 1:25 pm
  39. Sorry, I meant the size of the people and animals, rather than sheet size. thanks!

Posted by Amy Robinson | November 26, 2012, 3:06 pm
  40. Okay, I just printed on normal 81/2 x 11 sheets of paper, and I’m all set! The way mine downloaded looked like I would need to print on poster-size paper! Thanks again; I’m excited to get going on this!

Posted by Amy Robinson | November 26, 2012, 3:26 pm
    • Oh you darling MOMMY. I teach kindergarten at Lansing Christianschool. I’m just dying to find your precious felt nativity. Thank you with all my heart. God bless you and your family at this glorious time celebrating Our Savior! Much love, Marilyn

Posted by Marilyn Herwaldt | December 8, 2012, 8:47 am
  41. Great idea! I have a question though. How did you get the parts stiff? (As stiff as they could stand up in the basket like on one of the pictures)

Posted by Anneli | December 2, 2012, 4:13 pm
  42. Do you have patterns for this wonderful idea? I tried to just copy and paste your pictures so I could refer to them, but couldn’t. I would love to make this for my grandchildren (I have 15!). I’m always looking for new ideas and always try to keep their minds focused on what Christmas is really about.

Posted by Kay | December 3, 2012, 11:45 am
  43. Great! I love it. Thanks. Am always trying to find crafts related to the real meaning of Christmas!

Posted by Debra | December 4, 2012, 4:56 pm
  44. I kept seeing the Christmas tree too, but I really like this one! I will have to try it. Thanks!

Posted by Tara | December 5, 2012, 8:53 pm
  45. Just wanted to weigh in about what kind of glue to use. There is such a thing as felt glue, and it is lightweight and very sturdy. It takes a few hours to cure, but once everything is dry, the pieces do not come apart easily. It’s worth splurging on ($5 for a bottle at Hobby Lobby) for a larger project like this one.

Posted by Becca | December 8, 2012, 10:22 am
  46. Thanks for the patterns …. I did it last night , my girls love it.

Posted by karen | December 9, 2012, 12:22 pm
  47. Did you use wool felt or the less expensive kind (I think it’s acrylic)? I love this and thanks so much for sharing it!

Posted by Amy W | December 12, 2012, 4:26 pm
  48. Thanks for the free patterns! My friend and I made 2 of these this week. They are adorable🙂

Posted by dkpaets | December 18, 2012, 2:23 pm
  49. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I pinned this last Christmas and am today cutting out all my pieces. I really appreciate you offering the pattern for free. What a blessing!🙂

Posted by Jeanine | December 28, 2012, 12:21 pm
  50. I LOVE this! I was going to make banner to hang on the wall, but it makes much more sense to hang one down where my toddler can play with it. Genius!

Posted by Elizabeth S. (Russia) | September 15, 2013, 3:35 pm
  51. I just found this on pinterest. I love it and can’t wait to make if for my kids! Thank you so much!!!

Posted by Kiasa | October 15, 2013, 5:17 am
  52. I found them on pinterest. Thank you so much for the pattern, I made them into felt puppets as my grandchildren love to give puppet shows. Cute as a button.😉

Posted by Penny King | November 15, 2013, 7:19 am
  53. I love it – what do you use to attach the stable to the wall?

Posted by Jane g | November 16, 2013, 9:31 am
  54. How do you ahead it to the wall

Posted by Sue | December 7, 2013, 5:56 am
  55. How did you mount it on the wall?

Posted by Andrea Rake | December 16, 2013, 2:52 pm
  56. Thank you and bless you for sharing your template with the world. This is just what I was looking for. It is the best one, and easy to make, tha I’ve came across so far. Thank you again.

Posted by Kathy | December 20, 2013, 11:32 am
  57. Hi
    Thanks for sharing this great nativity idea! I’ve been looking for something to use for my 2 & 3’s children’s church class. I thought about purchasing a Fisher Price one or the Play Mobil one but just didn’t want to spend that much money on one. When I saw yours I knew it was just perfect! I’m also excited that you shared your templates. I am a sewer so I could have imitated yours but this will be so much easier! Thanks again & God bless!

Posted by Susan | November 3, 2014, 10:09 am
  58. How do you get this to stick to your wall?

Posted by Tiffany | November 11, 2014, 8:49 pm

1. Pingback: Our Home School Journey | christianhomeschooleducator - November 28, 2012

2. Pingback: Ultimate List of Nativity Resources - Spell Out Loud - November 28, 2012

3. Pingback: Winging it with Festive Felt… « fresh.green.grace - November 30, 2012

4. Pingback: Půjdem spolu do Betléma « Žena 007 - December 19, 2012

5. Pingback: 10 Fun Activities to do at Christmas With Your Children - The Modest Mom Blog - December 10, 2013

6. Pingback: Elf on the Shelf: A CHRISTmas Tradition | Jessica McLain - June 16, 2014

7. Pingback: Christ Centered Christmas Resources and a GIVEAWAY! | To the Moon and Back - July 19, 2014

8. Pingback: Trabalhos manuais para o Natal | Alegria de Mãe - November 11, 2014

9. Pingback: Fun, fun and more fun! | My Crazy Blessed & Honored Life - November 30, 2014

10. Pingback: Ultimate List of Nativity Resources - Spell Out Loud - December 2, 2014

11. Pingback: a wall felt nativity | The Sleepy Time Gal - December 8, 2014

12. Pingback: Nativity Scenes For Kids - LDS SMILE - December 8, 2014

13. Pingback: 10 Nativity Projects - My Weekly Habit - December 9, 2014

14. Pingback: Christmas Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers - Intentional By Grace - December 11, 2014

15. Pingback: "Mom, Make that again!" Cozy, Healthy Comfort Foods They'll Love - Intentional By Grace - December 15, 2014

16. Pingback: kidssewcrafty - December 3, 2015