I love sheet cake! My mom has made the most amazing chocolate Texas sheet cake since I was a little girl licking the batter bowl (hmmm, I guess I still do that). Recently I heard about a peanut butter version of this childhood favorite. At first I thought, “sounds great!” Then I had an idea I just knew would taste great. Chocolate sheet cake with peanut butter icing! Chocolate peanut butter is one of my favorite flavor combinations so I decided to try it.
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 stick butter
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift the flour and sugar together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Put the butter, oil, water and cocoa powder in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until at a full boil.
3. Pour over the flour and sugar mixture, then beat until well blended.
4. Add the vanilla, baking soda and buttermilk and mix. If you don’t have butter milk on hand measure out 1/2 cup milk and add a splash of vinegar, stir and let sit for a few minutes and then add.
5. Add eggs and beat until blended.
6. Pour into a greased jelly roll pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. 5 minutes before it is done begin the icing.
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
6 teaspoons milk
1 pound of powdered sugar
Extra splash or two of milk as needed
1. Place the butter, peanut butter and 6 teaspoons of milk in a saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Whisk the whole time and be careful not to burn the peanut butter.
3. When boiling, remove from heat and add the powdered sugar and stir until mixed. You may need to add a splash or two more of milk if it is too thick. It needs to be a pouring consistency.
4. Pour over the warm sheet cake and spread evenly.
5. Let sit until completely cool.
I suggest cutting it with a plastic knife to get the perfect edges to your pieces. Thanks for stopping by!
I am loving your blog! I recently started a blog as well; I am also a youth minister’s wife and a stay-at-home mommy of two!