DIY, Health

DIY Moisturizing Face Cream/Body Butter

As I have mentioned before I have eczema. My kids have eczema. Lotion is a major part of our lives. We spend a lot on lotion to ease our itching and painful dry spots. Recently I ran out of face cream and have been using some coconut oil instead. It made my face so soft I tried it on my eczema after showers. It has worked so well I decided to try and make a whipped face cream/body butter from it.

All I used were these two ingredients:

20130211-181456.jpg

It was so simple! I just put about 2/3 cup coconut oil and 1 Tablespoon of vitamin E oil in my stand mixer. I put the whisk attachment on and beat it for about 8 minutes stopping every few minutes to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Soon it looked like this:

20130211-181802.jpg

So easy! It keeps this soft whipped feel when kept in a jar instead of the hard-at-room-temp coconut oil. I love it, I think I’m going to whip my homemade vick’s vapor rub too!

20130211-182247.jpg

It is not only simple, it is cheap and all natural! The vitamin E is so good for your skin and the coconut oil doesn’t clog your pores like a petroleum based lotion. My eczema is actually improved, not gone but any improvement is a big deal when you have it as bad as my kids and I do. Thanks for stopping by :)

18 thoughts on “DIY Moisturizing Face Cream/Body Butter

1. Awesome! Thanks for the recipe. I’m going to try it with my 2 year old little boy with eczema.

Posted by Jennifer | February 12, 2013, 4:12 pm
  2. What a great idea using the organic coconut oil :) this should be a great help to erradicate the eczema. Sure would like to find the cause of this nasty itching!

Posted by Marilyn Krach | February 12, 2013, 8:06 pm
  3. Can’t wait to try this! Did you order the Vit E moisturizer on line? I can only find the capsules around where I live. Where did you buy it? Thanks!!

Posted by Jen Conrad | February 13, 2013, 2:42 pm
  4. Just in case you hadn’t already heard, dairy is a major cause of eczema. When we eliminated it from our diets the nasty patches disappeared within weeks on both myself and my 2 year old son.

Posted by Jen | May 28, 2013, 4:27 pm
  5. Thank you for posting this recipe! Does the cream harden like un whipped coconut oil, or does it remain creamy and fluffy as in the photos? God bless.

Posted by Elle | August 3, 2013, 5:17 pm
  6. This looks like a great gift for my students. Can I add essential oil for a nice scent or does the coconut oil have its own scent?

Posted by Chris Steiner | October 25, 2013, 11:26 pm
  7. how long is cream good for? expiry if kept in a glass jar?

Posted by Jill | November 4, 2013, 7:11 pm
  8. What do you do if when you make it, it is very thin? I made it and it came out really thin. Help!!!

Posted by rina | November 13, 2013, 3:06 am
  9. Johanna, I do not have a stand mixer…..do you think a hand mixer would do the same? I’m sure more elbow grease would be involved, but do you think it would still achieve this consistency?

Posted by Dedra | November 17, 2013, 7:31 pm
  10. Love all of your DIY recipes! Where can I purchase those glass jars that you use for your products?

Posted by Carole | November 22, 2013, 2:36 pm
  11. You can also put this in a mason jar 3/4 full then screw in your blender blades. Flip it over and put in your blender and pulse. Pull out and it’s perfectly whipped with little mess. Easier and faster than the hand mixer and cleaner than the mixing bowl you will have to scrape out. I also heard of Rose Hip Seed Oil being added for an excellent wrinkle cream.
    Can’t waitto try your method!

Posted by Michele | December 20, 2013, 11:54 am
  12. Did you find that it left your skin greasy feeling? The mixture did not go into my skin well, your experience?

Posted by Amy | January 27, 2014, 9:52 pm

1. Pingback: DIY Moisturizing Face Cream & Body Butter | Home and Heart DIY - March 7, 2014