Recipes

Apples and Peanut Butter Dip

One of my favorite entertaining recipes is my peanut butter dip with apple slices. I made it last night for a girl’s night and decided to share it with my readers on my blog.

Ingredients:
1 heaping cup peanut butter
1 jar marshmallow fluff
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese

20120531-103630.jpg

I put all the ingredients into my stand mixer and beat it together, it’s really that simple.

20120531-103720.jpg

20120531-103728.jpg

I put it in a pretty bowl and serve with a spoon, this stuff tastes amazing!

20120531-103923.jpg

I almost always serve with fresh apple slices. Although, pretzels, graham cracker sticks and other yummy finger foods work well also. Now onto my apple slices… I learned this trick for slicing my apples ahead of time 9 years ago and use it all the time.

20120531-104706.jpg

I slice my apples and put them straight into cold salty water! It’s that easy, I’m not a fan of what lemon juice does to the taste of my apple slices. So I love this method and use it all the time.

20120531-104718.jpg

For instance last night I sliced my apples hours before my friends came over and they were still white and crisp without the sour lemon flavor. The salt isn’t enough to change the flavor usually I just add a teaspoon of salt to a large plastic storage container about 2/3 full of water and stir before adding slices.
Thanks for stopping by! :)

73 thoughts on “Apples and Peanut Butter Dip

1. This was delicious!!

Posted by Sheila | May 31, 2012, 11:03 am
  2. Yes it is! Honestly, I don’t like red apples because they’re too sweet for me, but this peanut butter dip is perfect for toning down that sweetness! I’m not sure how, considering the marshmallow fluff and cream cheese, but it works. :)

Posted by Kayla | May 31, 2012, 11:12 am
  3. Peanut butter dips looks amazing!!! Even more excited about the apple trick!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Posted by thelocolife | May 31, 2012, 2:52 pm
  4. Yummy :)

Posted by Janet | May 31, 2012, 6:16 pm
  5. dips looks amazing=)

Posted by Nataliya | June 1, 2012, 1:37 am
  6. do you have to leave the apple slices in the water to keep them from browning?

Posted by Tina | June 5, 2012, 6:45 pm
    • I leave them in the salt water until I am just about ready to serve them. They stay pretty white throughout parties for several hours. I’ve never experimented with dunking and removing them to see how they do. I’ll have to try it. If you do let me know if it works the same :)

Posted by crazyblessedlife | June 6, 2012, 7:53 am
      • good

Posted by raziarehman07 | July 16, 2012, 9:39 am
      • I do this all the time when I take snacks for the kids to church or school or where ever. I put them in the COLD salty water for a few minutes and take them out and pop them into a plastic bag to haul off for snack time. Then the kids aren’t “grossed out” because the apples turned brown! So in my experience they don’t need to be left in the water very long.

Posted by Heather | July 17, 2012, 2:28 pm
      • THANKS for the apple discussion! Very helpful :)

Posted by Alana | November 22, 2012, 7:23 am
  7. Sprite works equally well. An apple dip I make that’s always a hit: 1 package cream cheese mix in about 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Spread on serving dish. Coat with Carmel sundae topping. 4 Skor bars crushed sprinkled on top of Carmel. Delicious!

Posted by Trina | July 13, 2012, 3:02 pm
  8. Just a heads up, this may make the apples less “healthy.” Many vitamins are water soluble, meaning that they dissolve in water and depending on how long the apples or carrots or whatever soak for, the longer the vitamins will “bleed” out.

Posted by Andy | July 15, 2012, 11:11 pm
  9. Yum! I toss my apples with pineapple juice. It still has the citric acid that keeps them from turning brown, but it’s not sour. I will have to give the saltwater method a try too.

Posted by Jenlo | July 18, 2012, 4:20 pm
  10. ok…. for those worried about “healthy”… the dip has marshmallow creme and cream cheese… just sayin’

Posted by Stringbean | August 2, 2012, 8:12 pm
  11. Does this not make the apples salty?

Posted by Michelle Troxel | August 26, 2012, 2:03 pm
  12. i left them overnight and they turned brown :( so do i need to soak them for how long??? then take them out…because my boys don’t like the brown

Posted by Marie | August 27, 2012, 9:27 am
    • I’ve never done overnight just a few hours in advance and sometimes just a thirty min soak the on to a tray for the night of a party.

Posted by crazyblessedlife | August 28, 2012, 11:55 pm
    • Sprite works for longer periods of time, I’ve heard pineapple juice and orange juice too but I haven’t tried them yet. I put apple slices in a ziplock, fill with enough sprite to cover the apples, leave it for a few minutes, then drain it out. The apples keep in the ziplock in the fridge for a few days before starting to brown. Works for pear slices too!

Posted by Jaime | October 14, 2012, 9:35 am
  13. I dip cut up apples in orange juice. Just a quick in and out, works perfectly for fruit salads, kids lunches etc., must be the citric acid.

Posted by Jill | September 1, 2012, 9:41 pm
  14. Yes thank u for sharing..

Posted by ann stone | September 2, 2012, 9:06 pm
  15. Love the salt water idea. I always used lemon, until my grand-daughter saw me using it. That was the end of her apple snacks for school, as she wouldn’t eat them when they were turning brown and wouldn’t go the the lemon. I will definitely be trying that this week. Thank you for sharing!

Posted by Joanne | September 2, 2012, 10:50 pm
  16. Would kosher salt work? I wont do mine in sprite. I know salt probably takes away from the healthiness of the apples but dunking in a vat of high fructose corn syrup or even worse aspartame has got to be worse for the kiddos.

Posted by BJ | October 4, 2012, 12:10 am
  17. How long do you soak them & do you stir them often during?

Posted by JulieAnna | October 7, 2012, 11:13 pm
  18. Great!!!!!! Me encanta gracias

Posted by Elisabeth Magadan | October 8, 2012, 8:46 pm
  19. Great tip about the apples & the dip looks wonderful!

Posted by courtney | October 9, 2012, 7:33 pm
  20. I wonder if the salt is truly necessary, or if just submerging them in cold water would be sufficient. They turn brown because the vitamin C on the cut surface oxidizes – but that process requires exposure to the air. So it could be that just keeping them submerged would keep them white. (That works for potatoes.)

Posted by titus2homemaker | October 13, 2012, 1:38 pm
    • I talked this over with a friend as well but when removed from water they begin to brown and removed from salt water they stay white longer :) I usually do this for parties when I want them to stay white for a few hours.

Posted by crazyblessedlife | October 13, 2012, 10:08 pm
      • Good to know! So if you cut them up for your kiddoes, and they learn to grab them straight out of the water and dip them, you can probably skip the salt. But for a party or something, the salt is a better option.

Posted by titus2homemaker | October 13, 2012, 10:17 pm
  21. just tried pineapple juice (in a can, I hear fresh works even better and probably healthier) didn’t soak for long just a quick dunk, apples didn’t taste any different and they didn’t brown at party, put leftovers in plastic bag in refer we ate them for two days after that with minimal browning and they still kept crisp. I also used the pineapple juice at the party cause it had only the apples dunked in it and people drank it…nothing wasted!

Posted by Terri | October 14, 2012, 10:29 am
  22. My grandma has done this for as long as I can remember; and I do it now for my family. We let the apple slices soak for about 5 minutes and then give them a good rinse with clean, cold water. This washes off that slimy feeling left behind by the salt water. They stay beautiful and crisp :)

Posted by Alexandria | October 20, 2012, 11:14 pm
  23. Can’t thank you enough for the apple tip. Browning has prevented me from using apples as often as I’d like! And now I cant wait to try this yummy dip, too. You’re my hero.

Posted by Trouble Ensued | October 21, 2012, 7:51 pm
  24. I cut mine up and put them in a bowl with watered-down apple juice; stay white for 2-3 days at least.

Posted by Ginny McConnell Serpico | October 31, 2012, 10:02 pm
  25. That is so smart

Posted by Lynn Humphreys | November 1, 2012, 9:01 pm
  26. You should try FruitFresh. It’s a sprinkle that you can find in the seasoning isle at your local grocery store. It only takes a light sprinkle to keep the brown away and is not as tart as lemon juice. I actually like the bit of tart that it gives to sweet apples. Then you can store sliced apples in serving sized containers ready to enjoy.

Posted by sarah | November 2, 2012, 8:33 am
  27. How many ozs. is the “fluff” jar?

Posted by Cheryl | November 14, 2012, 12:11 pm
  28. does anyone know if “lowsalt” works just as well as regular salt??

Posted by Jo | November 15, 2012, 8:32 am
  29. This sounds yummy!! I’ve always made this dip with just the cream cheese & marshmallow creme, but will have to try it with peanut butter too.

Posted by Vicki | November 23, 2012, 6:55 pm
  30. Can you make the dip a day ahead?

Posted by julie | November 24, 2012, 1:26 pm
  31. Is it possible to make it the day before, and refrigerate it, or should it be made the day you use it? (the dip)

Posted by Julie | November 24, 2012, 2:44 pm
  32. I use diet white soda works super easy

Posted by lisa | November 29, 2012, 10:33 am
  33. I use pineapple juice. Then I serve the chunk pineapple along side the apples for dipping with the fruit dip.

Posted by Kathy | December 24, 2012, 2:51 pm
  34. I use vinegar & water. I used to use lemon juice, but my son is allergic to citrus fruits. I use about a tsp of vinegar in cup of water. Or, you can use apple cider – that works really well for apple sauce (about 1/2 c poured over a big pot of apples) to keep it grocery-store-yellow. Acid and dehydration (which salt does) inhibit the apple’s ability to absorb oxygen, and therefore it slows the browning.

Posted by Meg | December 27, 2012, 12:11 pm
  35. Thanks for the great tip! I see by your salt that you go to Aldi….don’t you love it! I bet you got your apples there, the produce is amazing and the best price in town.

Posted by kathy campbell | January 2, 2013, 8:59 pm
  36. my grandma always soaked apples in the salt water.
    I also learned later in life when we won’t eat the apples if they browned she would put them in a sauce pan sprinkle with cinnamon and a little brown sugar and tell us we were eating chunky apple sauce. no wasted apples.

Posted by Rhonda | January 5, 2013, 12:46 pm
  37. For Kids Lunches buy smaller apples, slice the apple and place a rubber band around apple to hold slices together in place. It wont turn brown at all. OR try a Ginger Ale and lemon juice soak for about 5 minutes, works beautiful.

Posted by Judy Solis | January 31, 2013, 11:54 am
  38. When I was growing up, my mom did the same thing with potatoes, but I never thought about doing the same with apples! I will remember this!

Posted by Karen | February 2, 2013, 1:09 pm
  39. Any lemon/lime soda (7up, sprite, etc.)
    will work without leaving the strong lemon flavor.

Posted by ROBIN RAINES | February 14, 2013, 9:40 pm
  40. I just want to say Thank You. :-)

Posted by Elizabeth | February 17, 2013, 9:56 am
  41. wow that was a great discussion on what to do to apples to keep them from browning. great ideas ladies. thanks

Posted by spudmum | March 15, 2013, 6:39 am
  42. Wow, I just discovered the peanut butter / cream cheese / marshmallow wonder by accident about a week ago. I often will mix small amounts of natural PB + stevia (no sugar in natural) + neufchatel cheese for a low carb breakfast. I ran out of stevia and substituted a coconut covered marshmallow I found in the back of the cupboard to add some sweetness and it was *amazing*. Anyway, just a “+1″ for the recipe! I should try it as a dip…

Posted by Jen | March 17, 2013, 9:39 am
  43. How long do you soak them for befor you store them. I would like make snack bags of apples ahead of time for the kids lunches. Thanks.

Posted by michelle | March 21, 2013, 4:59 pm
  44. I use apple juice to soak them. It’s worked for me.

Posted by Ashley | June 19, 2013, 10:01 pm
  45. Putting your cut apples in Sprite will keep them from turning brown. This trick works on bananas too.

Posted by sunshinegrl514 | June 21, 2013, 9:24 pm
  46. Sprite will also keep apples and bananas from turning brown. Just dip cut fruit in Sprite, and they will stay pretty. I do this for my child’s lunch at school.

Posted by sunshinegrl514 | June 21, 2013, 9:27 pm
  47. I use pineapple juice! It works just as well and apples still taste great! Your dip looks delish :)

Posted by em | August 15, 2013, 7:30 am
  48. Just the fact that one is getting in a REAL fruit into their child’s body should be a reward for you. How can people so concerned about the salt issue when the receipe calls for cream cheese and marshmellow fluff. I think the bigger picture is ALL things in moderation.

Posted by jt | August 15, 2013, 9:41 am
  49. I always use lemon juice to keep apples from discoloring. Like your idea better. Thanks! And the recipe looks great too.

Posted by Gail | August 17, 2013, 12:14 pm
  50. OMG! Thank you! I am allergic or a.k.a. citric acid intolerant! I never do anything for holidays or parties with apples because of this! Now… Can’t wait to try it!

Posted by Vashti | December 12, 2013, 1:53 pm
  51. Some varieties of apple are more resistant to browning. Golden Delicious and Braeburn are slower to brown. Red Delicious is about the fastest to brown.

Posted by Jan | June 4, 2014, 10:07 pm

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter Dip for Apples&#8226Saving My Family Money - July 25, 2012