The girls and I had 2 lbs of strawberries, wanted to make freezer jam and I had no pectin. So I looked around online and read some different recipes, and came up with my own🙂
2 lbs. strawberries
4 Cups sugar
1/4 Cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1. Cut the tops off of the strawberries and put in a large microwaveable bowl.
2. Microwave for 1 minute to soften and then smash them up, I let my girls help with a pastry cutter.
3. Pour all the ingredients into a large heavy bottom pot (I used my big stockpot).
4. Stir over low heat until all ingredients are combined and then turn the heat up to high stirring frequently. Let it come to a boil and use a candy thermometer to check the temp, let it boil while stirring until it reaches 220 degrees Fahrenheit. It needs to be a rolling boil so it will become jelly like! Take off the burner and let cool for a few minutes until the boiling has gone down.
5. Pour into hot sterilized jars and close carefully as it will be very hot.
6. Let cool on the counter until room temp then refrigerate or freeze.
I love this jam and can’t wait to make more as gifts for family and friends! My girls had so much fun doing this with me (only the safe parts like smashing the berries and pouring the ingredients in the pot, they watched the rest). They colored pictures of each step in their journals and love eating the fruit of labor (pun intended)🙂
Thanks for stopping by!