Out of a desire to make my own chicken stock, I began researching (asking mom friends, my mom and online research). I finally have a recipe of my own that I love and thought I would share it with my readers. My favorite thing about this recipe is that it makes 1-2 meals worth of chicken for my family and then 8-10 cups of chicken stock for use in other recipes (like my favorite meal Chicken and Dumplings).
1 small whole chicken
1/2 white onion chopped up
1/2 small bag of baby carrots sliced in half
3-4 stalks of celery sliced into 3 in. pieces
8-10 cups of water
1. Wash the chicken and remove anything from the cavity.
2. Place the onion, carrots, and celery in the crock pot.
3. Place the chicken on top of the veggies and season with paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Set the crock pot on high for 6 hr.
5. Remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Leaving the cooked veggies.
6. Slice up chicken and serve as is or in a chicken recipe. It should be moist and flavorful.
7. Place all unused bones and chicken (if you don’t eat dark meat put it back in to flavor stock) back into the crock pot along with 8-10 cups of water and set on low for up to 8 hrs.
8. Strain stock from bones and veggies into a bowl and let cool down.
9. I usually use my muffin tin to freeze the stock in 1/2 cup portions so I can easily remove the exact amount of stock that a recipe calls for without having to thaw and measure out first.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does. Love set it and forget it recipes