Recipes

Simple Homemade Alfredo Sauce

I love Italian food! It is my major weakness… especially fettuccine alfredo. It’s hard to resist that pasta smothered with creamy cheesy garlicky goodness. Most recipes are fairly complicated and long for homemade alfredo sauce. So I made it at home rarely, if ever. Then I made up my own recipe that was quick and easy, yet really yummy too.

Ingredients:

4 oz. cream cheese
4 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 cup 2% milk
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
Dash of salt
Dash of fresh ground pepper

*note – this makes about four adult servings, double as needed for more.

First, put the cream cheese and butter in a small saucepan.

20120813-201345.jpg

Then add the garlic and the milk.

20120813-201454.jpg

20120813-201511.jpg

Next add the Parmesan, the salt and the pepper.

20120813-201624.jpg

Then put on the stove over medium heat. Stirring it with a whisk as the cream cheese and the butter melt. Once it begins to boil whisk constantly so it doesn’t burn and turn down the heat after about 2-3 min to med/low heat. Let it cook for about 5-7 min more while whisking, until it is a little thicker but not quite the thickness you want your sauce to be. It will thicken as it cools down. If it is too thick on the stove it will be very thick and chunky off the stove.

20120813-202031.jpg

20120813-202043.jpg

We don’t always have fettuccine noodles at home and use whatever pasta we have on hand. Last night all I had was elbow noodles, so we had elbow noodles with alfredo sauce!

20120813-202349.jpg

Yes that is halved hotdog bun toasted garlic bread! We make do with what we have :) its pretty good, you should try it! Thanks for stopping by :)

66 thoughts on “Simple Homemade Alfredo Sauce

1. Thanks for this! I know an easy Alfredo recipe, but it calls for heavy cream – something I NEVER have on hand! These ingredients I’m much more likely to have in the house. :)

Posted by Kayla | August 15, 2012, 10:33 am
  2. You make the best alfredo sauce! Wish I was there.

Posted by Sheila | August 15, 2012, 3:11 pm
  3. Actually, you can melt the butter only (first step) and add cut up chicken breasts or shrimp and cook until the meat is done through and then add the other ingredients as listed. I have a similiar recipe and it is SO yummy.

Posted by LeAnn | October 20, 2012, 2:57 pm
  4. This was simply AMAZING!!!! Also easy, and I had everything on hand. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Posted by Ali | October 21, 2012, 6:05 pm
  5. Looks good! I always use hot dog buns too! It seems like we always have leftover buns! I think I’m going to make alfredo tonight!

Posted by Casey | October 22, 2012, 12:06 pm
  6. Hot dog or hamburger buns work great for garlic bread as well as garlic cheese bread. It has a nice chewy texture!

Posted by Tabitha | October 24, 2012, 10:33 am
  7. I have used this recipe for couple of years know and agreed it is the best. Add a pinch of nutmeg and it is even better.

Posted by Karen | October 24, 2012, 3:51 pm
  8. I have been using this recipe for about 10 years and love it! I use the shredded parm in the bag instead of the grated from the can because it melts better but delicious either way!

Posted by Kayla N. | October 27, 2012, 8:48 pm
  9. I made a variation of this which was just as good!
    add 1 package frozen cooked squash
    eliminate garlic powder
    add 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    add 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    add 1/2 tsp ground sage

simply amazing!

Posted by Alison S. | November 1, 2012, 4:34 pm
  10. I saw this on pinterest today and immediately jumped up to make it for our lunch. It was amazing. I grated fresh parmasean, bumping it up to 1 cup. It made enough for me and three kids. My middle kid had 2 big servings! I had sauted portabella mushrooms with mine and it was amazing.

Posted by Sharon | November 5, 2012, 12:33 pm
  11. Just found this recipe – it sounds great and I can’t wait to try it out on my family. I’ve done the hotdog-turned-garlic-bread thing before and it’s fantastic. :D

Posted by Kathleen | November 27, 2012, 9:23 am
  12. My recipe for Alfredo sauce has the exact same ingredients, although I don’t tend to measure. I orinally started using half and half with this recipe, but have found that you can use almost any milk. I’ve also used 1%. This is delicious and easy and you will receive lots of compliments.

Posted by Kathy Lawhorn | November 30, 2012, 4:40 pm
  13. This is absolutely amazing!! I’ll never buy jar Alfredo again! I’ve done out once following the recipe and tonight I’m doing it again but adding pesto at the end. I also am out of milk but had cream left over from the holidays so I used that instead. Extra fattening that way but should be amazing!! Thank you for posting this!

Posted by Amy Wyatt | December 4, 2012, 8:10 pm
  14. I do the same with left over hot dog buns, as well with sandwich rolls and sliced bread. my husband gives me a confused look but chows them down. Too funny.

Posted by Melissa | December 23, 2012, 7:56 pm
  15. This loos really yummy!

Posted by Jennifer | December 28, 2012, 10:56 am
  16. Had it last night- yum! Thanks

Posted by Laura | December 29, 2012, 11:32 am
  17. Made this tonight for dinner. Hands down this is the Alfredo should sauce I’ve every ever had. It’s a MOUTHGASM!!! So easy to make. We will definitely be making this again.

Posted by Valerie | December 30, 2012, 11:55 pm
  18. OMG!!!!! made this last night for supper, Loved it!! Will be making again and again!
    Thanks so much!

Posted by Laurie | January 1, 2013, 12:42 am
  19. The green beans look pretty good too !

Posted by Sue Barry | January 2, 2013, 2:46 pm
  20. This was delicious!! And so quick & easy. Thank you so much for a great alfredo recipe that is made with ingredients I always have in my fridge. My fiance approves too, he said “This is so good, I wanna just drink it!” It was a perfect supper after coming home from ice fishing!

Posted by Erika H. | January 4, 2013, 9:51 pm
  21. I have always wanted to make an alfredo sauce but thought it was too difficult. I tried your recipe today and it was absolutely fabulous! My kids said i made the best alfredo sauce. ;) Thank you!

Posted by Cynthia | January 6, 2013, 4:15 pm
  22. So I made this yesterday for dinner and I quadrupled the recipe cause I know my family they will not just eat one serving. This was amazing, i added chicken and tomatoes to the sauce. Brilliant and I don’t think I will be allowed to buy store bought anytime soon. I had enough leftover to make an Alfredo type mac and cheese. Even better the next day.

Posted by Laura | January 6, 2013, 4:21 pm
  23. This is good and very easy. A bit too much garlic for us.

Posted by Elizabeth | January 8, 2013, 7:39 pm
  24. Does it have to be fresh shredded parmesan cheese or will the powdered work?

Posted by Kayla Battaglia | January 15, 2013, 1:23 pm
  25. Anyone tried adding spinach??? I am making this tonight and think I will add some chicken and spinach!!!

Posted by Melissa Plant | January 16, 2013, 9:36 am
  26. I make one similar to this! Normally, I use full fat “everything”. I am going to try the low-fat cream cheese and skim milk tonight. Love the pic with the hot dog bun! We do the same thing at our house if there’s no garlic bread in the freezer. It doesn’t have to look fancy to taste yummy!

Posted by Vicky | January 17, 2013, 1:28 pm
  27. I found this on pinterest and made it tonight with shrimp. My (very picky) husband kept saying MmmM between each bite while the kids were slurping away. Very happy and full family..thanks for sharing!

Posted by Angie | January 18, 2013, 8:40 pm
  28. I found this recipe on pinterest and I am no longer allowed to buy the jar stuff or make it any other way. I have tried making alfredo sauce in the past but it always calls for expensive heavy whipping cream and no matter what I do, I can’t seem to get it to turn out right. It always turns out grainy and separates. Your recipe is most cost effective (a block of cream cheese is half the price of a quart of cream) and always turns out velvety smooth and delicious!

Posted by Amber | January 25, 2013, 6:50 pm
  29. I pinned this awhile back and being as fettucine alfredo has been requested for dinner tonight, i’m going to give this a try. I want broccoli and chicken, husband and oldest son want shrimp, younger son wants chicken and daughter will only want pasta and sauce most likely, so I think I’m going to do an alfredo bar – mix and match and make your own :) This recipe will be perfect!!

Posted by beth lee | January 31, 2013, 1:03 pm
  30. We only have 1% milk on hand…it’s between skim and 2%. Will this work as well?

Posted by Lisa | February 4, 2013, 9:24 am
  31. This is close to the Alfredo sauce I make except for the cream cheese. I am making it to put in white chicken lasagna. I bet it is going to be out of this world! Homemade alfredo sauce beats anything in a jar. Thanks for sharing. Btw hot dog buns are not just for hot dogs in my world! Lol

Posted by Suzanne | February 10, 2013, 8:37 am
  32. Does this freeze well? Have you tried?

Posted by LynnAnn | February 16, 2013, 5:16 pm
  33. Just made this and my husband says it is not only the best alfredo he’s ever had, but the best Italian he’s ever had! Thank you!

Posted by TST | February 18, 2013, 6:55 pm
  34. Was wondering how much pasta you used? We were gonna use penne tonight.

Posted by Brandy | February 22, 2013, 12:25 pm
  35. This was yummy and so easy to make! When I made it I used undated butter with the cream cheese and I didn’t have any garlic powder, so I used Garlic Salt, but I only put enough in to taste and not make it overly garlicky or overly salty. Thanks for the recipe and I’ll be making this again. :)

Posted by Cindy DeShields | February 26, 2013, 9:11 pm
  36. Have you ever tried making this in a crock pot? I made it and loved it – and my office has an Italian themed lucnch tomorrow and I wanted to make it but wasn’t sure if it would cook right?!

Posted by Tara | March 27, 2013, 5:44 pm
  37. I wanted to make chicken Parmesan and fettuccine Alfredo for dinner tonight but didn’t have any Alfredo sauce. It’s very nasty out tonight, rainy and cold, and I didn’t want to go to the store to get the sauce so I searched simple Alfredo sauce on Pinterest and this recipe was returned in the results.

It is simply delicious and I had everything on hand. I added about double the milk because I like mine a little thinner.

Delish. I may never buy jar or box Alfredo again! Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted by Mony Coleman | April 4, 2013, 7:32 pm
  38. thanks for the quick and easy recipe! I was in a bind tonight, and short on my store bought Alfredo sauce! All things work out for the best though. Now, I never have to use store bought again!

Posted by Jenna | April 18, 2013, 5:53 pm
  39. What’s the calorie count per serving?

Posted by Debbie | April 18, 2013, 8:26 pm
  40. Reblogged this on adventuresofastayathomemommy and commented:
    This is the alfredo sauce recipe I use. Its perfect. Yummy and so simple!

Posted by adventuresofastayathomemommy | April 19, 2013, 7:50 pm
  41. I just tried this tonight & it was delicious and easy!!! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!!!

Posted by Gina | April 24, 2013, 6:57 pm
  42. Prepared this today and turned out wonderful. I used it for chicken roll ups. Will bake tomorrow evening for our Teacher Appreciation Dinner at our Church. It is a definite “keeper”!!! Thanks for sharing. Debbie

Posted by Debbie Widner | April 26, 2013, 10:28 pm
  43. God bless!!! The recipe is very easy for me, thanks.

Posted by Nydia | May 24, 2013, 3:19 pm
  44. I have been using a similar recipe for several years and it is the best! Very forgiving if you don’t have the exact ingredients or the exact amounts. I made enough for my son’s graduation party recently (we had a pasta bar) and it reheated very well.

Posted by Gina | July 6, 2013, 10:41 pm
  45. Thanks just had it and the whole family loved it :)

Posted by yasmin | July 10, 2013, 10:05 pm
  46. Made this last night for shrimp and whole wheat pasta. SO good and so easy! I will never buy any alfredo in a jar again! Also, when I reheated it for lunch today, it reheated very well, not near as “saucy” as last night, but still covered the pasta and shrimp and tasted fabulous!

Posted by jenn | August 19, 2013, 11:55 pm
  47. This is hands down the best alfredo sauce I have ever eaten and it’s so easy to make. It’s absolutely delicious and beats Olive Garden by a long shot, which used to be my favorite until I tried yours!

Posted by Laci | September 13, 2013, 9:30 pm
  48. Could I use water instead of milk? That’s the only thing I don’t have on hand, and can’t go to the store.

Posted by bcooperwork | September 23, 2013, 4:43 pm
  49. is it any different adding almond milk instead of normal milk?

Posted by alana rathbun | January 15, 2014, 12:54 pm
  50. just made this and it is sooo good!! i made a few changes…used colby jack cheese and added bacon and minced garlic…delish!!! so easy to make. This is the only alfredo we are eating from now on. Thank you for sharing!!

Posted by Brielle | April 13, 2014, 5:28 pm
  51. Absolutely fabulous!!! I used the shredded parm as it is what I had to hand and it worked, as well This is my go-to alfredo recipe…IF you are looking for an easy, quick deepish recipe-look no further! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!!

Posted by Di | April 24, 2014, 5:14 pm
  52. would love to make this but I was wondering if it refrigeratable. If so, will it taste the same?

Posted by Tori Haynes | June 12, 2014, 2:27 pm

1. Pingback: Simple Homemade Alfredo Sauce « My Crazy Blessed Life! » Cody's Corner - December 24, 2012

2. Pingback: Simple Creamy Alfredo Sauce | elisebakes - January 4, 2013

3. Pingback: Sick little boy and some homemade alfredo | Chasing time and Drinking wine - February 25, 2013

4. Pingback: Alfredo Sauce | Dash of Goodness - February 22, 2014

5. Pingback: Simple Homemade Alfredo Sauce | My Crazy Blessed Life! | Tastiest Recipe Reviews - April 18, 2014