craft, DIY, Kids, stay-at-home-mom

Stars and Toothbrushes

For the last few weeks in science my kids have been learning about our Solar System. We have studied the Sun, Moon, stars, planets, and other bodies in the Solar System. It has been a lot of fun teaching and seeing them get so excited about our Solar System! I was trying to come up with a fun craft project while we were studying stars and I was in the middle of brainstorming how to get my kids to brush their teeth long enough. I put both things together and came up with this…

20131120-141635.jpg

Since my Relax Bottle/Time Out Timer has been so popular lately I decided a small glow in the dark version would be a fun Star Jar craft! Then I thought, what if I time it at one minute to settle so it can also be a Teeth-Brushing Timer also?! Two birds with one stone right? :)

Materials:

1 small plastic bottle (I got mine at a craft store for a dollar)
3 Tablespoons of glow in dark glitter glue
1 Tablespoon of neon ultra fine glitter
2 heaping Tablespoons of clear gel glue
Warm water to fill

20131120-142610.jpg

First I let the kids help put all of the ingredients except the water in the jar. Then I filled it about 2/3 full of really warm water from the tap. I shook until it all dissolved. Then I filled the rest of the way with water. After drying off the top I super glued them shut for safety. I don’t want my kids to be able to open them. They will settle faster when the water is warm than when they come to room temperature. Once the super glue is dry and they come to room temperature our bottles were pretty close to a minute settle time.

20131120-143414.jpg

Once settled they stay pretty milky at the top, I think that is from the glow in the dark glitter glue.

20131120-143552.jpg

My kids didn’t care though because in the dark they look awesome for Star Jars!

20131120-143901.jpg

Then settled in the dark (with a small black light so I could take better pics).

20131120-144034.jpg

It was simple and fun to make, my kids love them and they are functional too! Thanks for stopping by :)

28 thoughts on “Stars and Toothbrushes

1. I LOVE this idea! I must see if I can get hold of some glow in the dark glitter glue and neon paint.and then I can try this with my kids. Thank you for sharing this! :)

Posted by RobotDancing | November 20, 2013, 3:16 pm
  2. This is such a great idea! Love it.

Posted by sheila fish | November 20, 2013, 9:07 pm
  3. Reblogged this on Artsymom's Balancing Act and commented:
    Another fun jar project that is multi-functional. Can’t wait to make with the kids!

Posted by Artsymom (Cheri) | November 20, 2013, 9:17 pm
  4. Brilliant Idea :) Thanks for sharing

Posted by Denise | November 21, 2013, 2:23 am
  5. How long will it glow? days weeks hours?

Posted by drucilla | November 21, 2013, 1:18 pm
  6. don’t have any kids (yet), but i love this idea! Definitely going to have to try it!

Posted by Maria | November 21, 2013, 2:03 pm
  7. This can do double-duty as a night light too. How long does the glow last? I would love to try this with my little one.

Posted by Courtney | November 21, 2013, 3:22 pm
  8. I just read about your time out bottle which sounds like a great idea for my three and a half year old who throws some terrible tantrums. I like this idea too for helping him fall asleep on his own but I would need it to last about 5 minutes. Any idea how to make it last that long?
    I have pinned these to my Pinterest board for Crafts. These would be great crafts to do with my 10 year old. He loves helping me with projects to help with his little brother!

Posted by Marti Ann Ramirez | November 22, 2013, 8:32 am
  9. How long do they last? I want to make my daughter the time out version but am wondering how often you have to remake them. Does the glue start to clump?

Posted by Brandi | November 22, 2013, 9:03 am
  10. I am in love with this idea! I’ve done the glitter jars before, but have wanted to do a glow-in-the-dark jar, and just could never find the right materials! Thanks for sharing! :D

Posted by Meghan Brown | November 22, 2013, 12:10 pm
  11. Neat! :)

Posted by Margaret Willie | November 22, 2013, 5:50 pm
  12. very clever!

Posted by Cynthia | November 23, 2013, 3:25 pm
  13. Where did you find the glo glue? I looked at michaels but they didnt have it.

Posted by nikki | November 23, 2013, 7:43 pm
  14. Nevermind just enlarged the pic and saw the hobby lobby price tag right….

Posted by nikki | November 23, 2013, 7:45 pm
  15. I’m going to use both of your jar ideas for my classroom… yes, they’re 8th graders!

Posted by Patty McCormack | November 24, 2013, 6:54 am
  16. What age group is this meant for?

Posted by Sam | November 25, 2013, 1:22 pm
  17. What size bottle did you use (in ounces)?

Posted by Giana | November 25, 2013, 2:46 pm
  18. Cub Scout project!!!!

Posted by Melissa | November 27, 2013, 2:49 pm
  19. @Stacey Karr. Great ideas here.

Posted by Jan Ford Young | November 28, 2013, 6:55 pm
  20. @Marti Ann Ramirez ~ she said it took about a minute for the glitter to settle, but if you put in more glue and less water, it will take longer to settle.

Posted by chipmunk702 | December 2, 2013, 2:07 pm
  21. Would it make a difference if you used white glue instead of clear? Can’t find clear glue in my town. Has anyone tried it with white glue?

Posted by Amy Brown | December 3, 2013, 5:08 am
    • I have seen comments on her other blog where people have used clear Karo or clear dish soap to get the some effect…I haven’t made one yet, but plan to. Also, there was a comment someone made where they used blue gel Elmer’s glue and it made a sort of “watery” effect that they loved. Love this idea!

Posted by Jackie | January 6, 2014, 10:47 am
    • Yes — with white glue, the water gets milky/murky/cloudy, and you only see the glitter near the edge of the bottle — and it gets worse as you add glue to make it settle slower. I found the clear gel glue at my local WalMart in the school supplies section, and glitter glue at Michaels.

Posted by Dawn | March 1, 2014, 9:02 pm
  22. You might also make these to use as a “good night” tool–if you could get the settling to take more like five minutes. Shake it up, get in bed, turn off the light, and then watch the settling as a calm down and get ready to sleep routine.

Posted by Liz Lockhart | January 7, 2014, 8:12 pm
  23. I have no children or grandchildren. I do however make a lot of “treat bags’ for Halloween (up to 50 +/-). Would this be something I could make and hand out and what about making a smaller version? How long, {days, weeks, months etc,} do they last? If you do think it a good idea to hand out, what could I use to make it safe for all ages? Is there any kind of smaller bottle or plastic tube that could be used? What about a small toy inside to see as it settles?

BTW: By all ages I mean making sure the parents know it’s in there and what it is. I NEVER hand out anything, except for candy, without telling the parents it’s in there. I usually gather toys & party favors all year so I don’t have to buy them all at once. Most of the families around here knows to come to my home because as a young girl once told me, “you guys always hand out the neatest stuff”. I also don’t put an age limit on it.

Posted by Regina Bragg | January 29, 2014, 6:22 am
  24. Is there anyone in Australia doing these and the ‘time out’ ones? I’m having difficulty finding suitable materials.

Posted by Beryl Davidson | February 7, 2014, 7:15 am