DIY

DIY Face Powder

Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite DIY projects, because I get to use it almost daily. For a long time I loved mineral powder face makeup because of the sheer and matte look it gave my skin. I also have combination skin with some drier parts and a few oilier patches. Mineral powder helped me with the oily parts while not drying out the dry parts of my face. Only one problem with mineral powder, it was kind of costly. So after research I came up with my own version for pennies!

20130104-220339.jpg

It was so simple and I’m in love with the great results! Satiny smooth finish, no oiliness all day and the cost to me for enough powder for a few months was less than .25 cents :).

Ingredients:

Cornstarch
Cocoa powder

20130104-220621.jpg

No seriously… that’s it! I didn’t give exact amounts since everyone’s complexion is different and even I don’t measure much. I start with two heaping Tablespoons of cornstarch and slowly add about 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder at a time. Until when brushed on my face the powder blends well with my skin. This last time I measured so I could blog it and I used about 2 1/2 teaspoons of cocoa powder in two heaping Tablespoons of cornstarch. When mixing I use the back of a large spoon and press the powders together. I keep pressing and stirring until the color is consistent throughout.

20130104-221142.jpg

I store it in a small plastic container with a secure lid. I swirl a bit on my brush inside the lid for good coverage. I love this powder and will save tons while still getting the look I want from my homemade powder. Even in sunlight the color and finish seems perfectly natural. I’ve even seen many people say this has comparable results to the expensive mineral veil product people love. Thanks for stopping by :)

11 thoughts on “DIY Face Powder

1. I’m going to try this! Great idea I love it.

Posted by sheila fish | January 5, 2013, 11:21 pm
  2. Wow! Look great, save money, and smell delicious…….perfect. I so have to try this! Thank you! I really enjoy reading your blog!

Posted by Janet | January 20, 2013, 12:52 am
  3. Whoa, wearing cocoa powder all day, can’t wait to try this recipe out. Thanks! Came across your blog on pinterest looking for a fondant recipe. Thanks for your ideas, love your ideas! God bless.

Posted by Colleen | January 23, 2013, 11:26 am
  4. This is wonderful…Im going to try this asap!! Im a make up artist on the side, I may be able to use this when I have a make up gig. Love the idea :) God bless!

Posted by missybellz | January 31, 2013, 10:44 am
  5. I tried this. Love it. I will use this over my foundation. It is more like a translucent powder. I did add a little cocoa and I added a little foundation. It really leaves a nice matte finish. I won’t be buying powder again! Thanks so much!

Posted by Venessa Nickel | February 20, 2013, 8:26 pm
  6. Thank you very much for sharing this to every one. I will try it ASAP.

Posted by Caroline | July 12, 2013, 8:04 am
  7. Hello! Do you use this instead of foundation, or in addition to?
    Thanks!

Posted by Shawna | July 15, 2013, 8:50 pm
  8. I tried it..Love it..It smells and taste good.BUT MORE IMLORTANT it made my skin feel so silky.never buy powder again.THANK YOU.

Posted by Rosamond McCallister | August 12, 2013, 9:35 am
  9. I just made this and tried it. I used more cocoa as I want a more bronze look. It’s great!! Wondering how it would be on the pores though. Anyone know? Oh and I also used it for foundation by adding a few drops of grape seed oil in the palm of my hand and some of the powered mix. It looks strange..like melted chocolate but soooo nice as a cover up. Love it!!

Posted by Michelle Atchison | October 27, 2013, 1:01 am